The Kiwi has recently made it back on Philippine supermarket shelves but since they look a bit alien to people here, haven’t been selling too well. I bought some on sale at Shopwise the other day – 6 kiwis for P75! I’m worried they’ll be yanked soon if no one buys them. They’re so good that my kids have gotten over the fuzzy brown skin and spotty green pulp to actually eat and enjoy them.
Plus, I read in the paper today that 1 Kiwi:
- Contains as much potassium as a banana
- Has the same amount of Vitamin E found in 3 apples
- Contains twice the amount of Vitamin C found in an orange
- Is high in Folate
- Is naturally high in anti-oxidants
- Is a good source of dietary fiber
It also has a low glycemic index. So go, go buy some Kiwis now! Then celebrate by making this Kiwi Bellini…
Kiwifruit Bellini c/o ZESPRI GOLD
- Puree 2 peeled Kiwis, 1 teaspoon caster sugar, 2 teaspoons Cointreau in a blender on gentle speed (you don’t want to crush the seeds). Pass through a fine sieve to remove the seeds. Then spoon the puree into 4 champagne flutes.
- Pour 2 tablespoons chilled prosecco (or similar sparkling wine) and gently stir to combine, then gently pour on more prosecco to fill each glass. Serve. Mmmmm….